Skip to main content

Henry Gets Into CAL


When Henry texted me  that he got into UC Berkeley, 
I said, in this order:
WHAT
ARE YOU JOKING?
SEND ME PROOF
PROOF!
The email had confetti when he opened it up!
128,000 freshman applicants.
This was not the plan. 
The plan went from BYU(rejected/unexpected), UCLA(rejected/expected). Okay, he planned on doing community college over the hill and reapplying to UCLA.
And Cal was unlikely.

My eyes burst when I threw my phone down in shock after his text.
We attended Cal Day last week.
It was pretty amazing!
He was so excited.


walking on campus

The music building!
We attended a Baroque Ensemble performance which was fabulous.
His major is undeclared.
the famous clock tower
The room of requirements, uh, I mean one of the libraries on campus:)

it all looked like a real life Harry Potter set...speaking of harry potter, the school has a quidditch club :)

stained glass in the music building :)

Finding his people...Jazz Ensemble booth!
I told him to do the band, or the rally crew or larping or so many other things to be a part of on campus.
We got our pins.
I am now convinced none of my kids will go to the same college:)
That's fine!
As we were there and looked around, combined with
another visit prior and seeing the incoming class, he felt like the people were the kind of people he'd like to be around.
The variety was attractive to him.

Cal certainly creates a diverse student body and a place for learning and growth.
Don't believe the news coming out of there is all bad. 
There is so much talent and creation going on. 
It is the premier UC school and like the president said in her remarks...
you got the golden ticket :)
We went out for dinner a couple of weeks prior to Cal day to
 celebrate his decision to hit that accept button!

We are excited for him. 
If there was a path that needed to open up for Henry it was this.
We couldn't have planned this.
We couldn't have thought this was a possibility.

I could not deny that God opened this up for him.
And that is just what he needed :)


Go Henry! Go Bears!



 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Lofty Summer Project

Summer Milkbarn projects! We had so many plans and then like anything,  summer came and kind of went (well, unless you count the 25 days left of actual summer).  We accomplished 2 things.  Here is the the boys room remodel.  We haven't completed the built in book shelves but this is a pretty amazing re-do since it was a pretty nasty room to start with. Before photos   (after I delightfully cleaned, donated and organized the boys belongings! well, not all of them) Right below this crack through their ceiling slept Henry  in the top bunk. If I was him, I would've imagined monsters or something trying to break in from another dimension... oh wait, that is Stranger Things on Netflix ( okay, so that was my 3rd summer project)  old paint swatches from 2 1/2 years ago lightening speed around here! Ripped up the carpet and remains of a rainbow loom rip rainbow looms After the carpet and linoleum un...

Post #40 The Ninja Room

The room my family has been waiting for.  Seriously!  I knew when we decided to turn this into a hang out room versus another bedroom(sorry teenage Lucy) it would be the end all at the Milkbarn.  In the 70's, when I grew up, this type of room was called a den. Rightly so. They were usually planked with wood siding and padded with two toned shag carpet. Nowadays I hear the word lounge to describe this space which only conjures up images of 20 somethings in the 90's  (ahem, that was me)   congregating at hip places with lots of sectional seating and guys thinking cigars were cool while I thought it seemed all so ridiculous.  So our children, upon carpet installation, commandeered the room for fighting and wrestling and so forth.  They named it The Ninja Room . No den, no lounge...just the ninja room. We love that they named it. We wanted to put up all of our family photographs  in a more personal space. ...

Costumes and Windows

Our shady tree Our favorite tree holds this swing we pulled out of the "jungle room"...remember the room with the Bali mural and plants everywhere that left our collective heads scratching? The swing survived the excavating. Anyway, our swing is a place where we play, snack,  talk, think, hold hands, lean on each other and (maybe)escape. Or watch bunnies. RIP Ernie. (My bunny friend that never ran away from me.) I love how the Milkbarn looks in the fall. Delivery complete. We filled this dumpster up within a week or two of tearing up the apartment. Windows installed!  The three on the left is where the kitchen sink will be. Early fall morning looking towards the canyon.  Autumn never gets old for me. Our backyard neighbors must be sick of looking at this mess. The kids picked this up unwillingly. Ah, Milkbarn memories. Sleeping in our future kitchen yo. Halloween chaos. I decided this year to make some Halloween...