Skip to main content

Alaska: Week 2

Week 2 of our trip we headed over to stay with Grandma and Grandpa!
We had some beautiful fall days coupled with rain and clouds...
but they easily cleared up in the afternoon for more time outside. 

We know who runs this place now.
Meet Rocky :)
The only person not a fan was Chester. 
In his defense...he really just doesn't know what to do with dogs. 
He is more open with humans :)

The Grandparents have 2 icelandic horses on their property.

All of the grandkids have had turns riding Dagger (not pictured)
and feeding Dagger.
 We even prayed for Dagger's return when he ran off while with Grandpa and Clay on a hunting trip one year. 
He was found months later after surviving the better part of the winter. 
It really was a miracle.

Now he is old and his time might be coming to an end soon. 
My kids love him.



Grandpa got his sister's cider press for some very fun and delicious cider making.


Chester and Audrey were into the workings and tastings of their afternoon 
with Grandma and Grandpa :)







The freshest cider...cold off the press!


Rocky has to sit in his seat, no matter who is there
haha

Grandpa built a little log cabin for his root cellar and a sauna he is building.
The thing we love about Grandma and Grandpa is that they always have projects going on :)



Probably the best cherries we have ever had in our lives.
 Grandma is a superb baker and made a pie for us. 
It was so gooood.

Spent raspberries with lots and lots of flies enjoying the end of the season.

Another portrait of Rocky...he is pretty cute.

Smith Road



Audrey, Grandma and I had a night out to ourselves and as we got home, the sunset was brilliant.
 This is the Sleeping Lady :)

I have never made a quilt before in my life. I bought this pattern last February at Cattywampus in Ojai and Mandy took me to Sylvia's in Wasilla for quilting fabric. It looked easy enough for me :)
Anyway, fast forward... quilting requires a different side of my brain and I had to laugh at myself.
 I kept thinking...this is too much math! 
haha


Henry and Chester before their "Alone" campout with grandpa.
 They picked berries, made a shelter and loved being with Grandpa. 

A rainy morning of distance learning :)



Grandma (or Nie Nie's) famous Spudnuts
I think Henry ate at least 6.

Audrey enjoying making donuts with grandma.
 Not seen were the two of them making whoopie pies and chocolate waffle cookies :)

Ending our stay with a walk with cousins on Marcus' 9th birthday :)



Pictured goodbyes with family...it was so good to reconnect
 and enjoy everyone in beautiful Alaska:)


p.s. Chester never really got used to Rocky
haha



we miss everyone already...and some of that cider too!

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Post #40 The Ninja Room

The room my family has been waiting for.  Seriously!  I knew when we decided to turn this into a hang out room versus another bedroom(sorry teenage Lucy) it would be the end all at the Milkbarn.  In the 70's, when I grew up, this type of room was called a den. Rightly so. They were usually planked with wood siding and padded with two toned shag carpet. Nowadays I hear the word lounge to describe this space which only conjures up images of 20 somethings in the 90's  (ahem, that was me)   congregating at hip places with lots of sectional seating and guys thinking cigars were cool while I thought it seemed all so ridiculous.  So our children, upon carpet installation, commandeered the room for fighting and wrestling and so forth.  They named it The Ninja Room . No den, no lounge...just the ninja room. We love that they named it. We wanted to put up all of our family photographs  in a more personal space. ...

The Milkbarn Path

Before fall came, Clay was determined to design and construct a walkway to the Milkbarn. Yay!!! Because we had a very narrow, shoddy (what? shoddy at the milbarn? *gasp*) ,  unevenly paved sidewalk to the front door which we knew needed a serious redo.  We bought the pavers from Lowes awhile ago and had them piled up in front of the house for months.  FYI, voles make homes under pavers.   Doesn't it look awesome ? Nice, wide, perfect curve and now easy to shovel when the snow comes. The curve looks just right against the angles of the house. I planted some tulips under the trees and near the front door.  I'm not holding my breath that anything will come up given my gardening expertise.  But again, I do believe in miracles. :) Truth! ! 1600 Sq. ft and going strong...and now with a pathway! I was trying to think of all the photos that have a pathway or walkway in them.  Here we are at the Fort Colli...

Costumes and Windows

Our shady tree Our favorite tree holds this swing we pulled out of the "jungle room"...remember the room with the Bali mural and plants everywhere that left our collective heads scratching? The swing survived the excavating. Anyway, our swing is a place where we play, snack,  talk, think, hold hands, lean on each other and (maybe)escape. Or watch bunnies. RIP Ernie. (My bunny friend that never ran away from me.) I love how the Milkbarn looks in the fall. Delivery complete. We filled this dumpster up within a week or two of tearing up the apartment. Windows installed!  The three on the left is where the kitchen sink will be. Early fall morning looking towards the canyon.  Autumn never gets old for me. Our backyard neighbors must be sick of looking at this mess. The kids picked this up unwillingly. Ah, Milkbarn memories. Sleeping in our future kitchen yo. Halloween chaos. I decided this year to make some Halloween...