Skip to main content

Alaska: Week 1

We made it to Alaska!
It's been 2 years since the kids have come up
 and 11 years since I have been there as well :)
Here I am 11 years ago picking blueberries in 
Hatcher Pass with Lucy by my side and a growing Chester in my big belly.


Traveling is strange in the pandemic.
No hustling, just masks and a lot of waiting.


a view from our flight in Washington. When we landed the air was thick with smoke. The whole west has been on fire.
 It's sad but mother nature needs to do her job too.

Waiting in Seattle post McDonald's :)
Looking down at glaciers. Clay leaned over to me and said,
 "you know there are hundreds of those where we are going"
 haha


Palmer!
We arrived at Mandy and Tom's, what a great place to land.
 They were amazing hosts with lots of space to spare and love all around to share :)


I included this since this is how he looks at me...I look old and tired here :)
he looks ready to tease me
Everyone is doing online school...and then miraculously found time to play games together (sarcasm)
 A highlight for the boys for sure!




Wesley



Chester hasn't been around friends or anyone his age in over 6 months so this visit seemed important.
 They all came away with new found relationships and lots of bonding. My mom heart was so happy watching him.
 I barely spoke with him for the whole time we were there!
Cousins=best friends

Went out to the river to shoot clay pigeons. 
Clay gave Audrey and the rest of us lessons. 
Tom provided all the gear and the four by four made it all the more Alaskan.









Russian olive bushes  all along the river beds


Tom provided donuts around a car so shot up it was like swiss cheese.
 He said he had to give us an authentic experience :)


Uncle Tom's recess




sunrise on the beginnings of fall

hiking the butte with cousins...I had never done it before


devils club grows wild everywhere there

half way up break




views from the top!







The boys scrambled around in the dirt up there!

Chester, as you can see, is in heaven :)


Audrey's wish to bake in the fall came true
...she made her pumpkin snickerdoodles...scrumptious!

Bushes Bunches with zucchini the length of my arm...I never got a pic of the 3 times I got deep fried zucchini there...but that was my heaven:)

Clay's fake but very real zoom background :)

Henry broke his pinky toe after a game of throw throw burrito

Reuben Haus truck
So good! and cute flower buckets and hanging in dairy baskets...kind of an ode to the dairy farms that once were in Palmer.


We made a trek up to Hatcher Pass
The changing colors of the tundra are jaw dropping. 
It was just so beautiful!












Mandy is such a good sister to Clay.
 I love her for that plus all the other reasons or blessings she has extended to us in our lives.

Sunset on the valley


One of the nicest days weather wise was spent going up to the Matanuska Glacier.
WOWza.





my favorite walks have leaves underfoot

pretty Audrey


The glacier was so cool to walk on, you could scrape away mud or ice to see you were stepping on blocks of ice. Streaks of pure blues scoring through the ice and crevasses were just incredible. Alaska has a way of humbling you. 
It is such a special place. 
I feel lucky to be married to an Alaskan :)

cousin squad!





What an incredible first week we had :)

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Lofty Summer Project

Summer Milkbarn projects! We had so many plans and then like anything,  summer came and kind of went (well, unless you count the 25 days left of actual summer).  We accomplished 2 things.  Here is the the boys room remodel.  We haven't completed the built in book shelves but this is a pretty amazing re-do since it was a pretty nasty room to start with. Before photos   (after I delightfully cleaned, donated and organized the boys belongings! well, not all of them) Right below this crack through their ceiling slept Henry  in the top bunk. If I was him, I would've imagined monsters or something trying to break in from another dimension... oh wait, that is Stranger Things on Netflix ( okay, so that was my 3rd summer project)  old paint swatches from 2 1/2 years ago lightening speed around here! Ripped up the carpet and remains of a rainbow loom rip rainbow looms After the carpet and linoleum un...

Post #40 The Ninja Room

The room my family has been waiting for.  Seriously!  I knew when we decided to turn this into a hang out room versus another bedroom(sorry teenage Lucy) it would be the end all at the Milkbarn.  In the 70's, when I grew up, this type of room was called a den. Rightly so. They were usually planked with wood siding and padded with two toned shag carpet. Nowadays I hear the word lounge to describe this space which only conjures up images of 20 somethings in the 90's  (ahem, that was me)   congregating at hip places with lots of sectional seating and guys thinking cigars were cool while I thought it seemed all so ridiculous.  So our children, upon carpet installation, commandeered the room for fighting and wrestling and so forth.  They named it The Ninja Room . No den, no lounge...just the ninja room. We love that they named it. We wanted to put up all of our family photographs  in a more personal space. ...

The Milkbarn Path

Before fall came, Clay was determined to design and construct a walkway to the Milkbarn. Yay!!! Because we had a very narrow, shoddy (what? shoddy at the milbarn? *gasp*) ,  unevenly paved sidewalk to the front door which we knew needed a serious redo.  We bought the pavers from Lowes awhile ago and had them piled up in front of the house for months.  FYI, voles make homes under pavers.   Doesn't it look awesome ? Nice, wide, perfect curve and now easy to shovel when the snow comes. The curve looks just right against the angles of the house. I planted some tulips under the trees and near the front door.  I'm not holding my breath that anything will come up given my gardening expertise.  But again, I do believe in miracles. :) Truth! ! 1600 Sq. ft and going strong...and now with a pathway! I was trying to think of all the photos that have a pathway or walkway in them.  Here we are at the Fort Colli...