Skip to main content

Part One: Sequoia National Park


Finally made it out to a national park!
I read that Kings Canyon and Sequoia National Parks had opened but with no services or camping...just restrooms and some permits for wilderness camping.
 I thought, let's do it. 
Maybe it will be calm and empty?
But maybe not...it's California.
Then I heard no international travel was happening. 
 I coordinated with Clay being in Fresno and we took the opportunity to get OUT!
So glad we did. 
It turned out better than I had hoped for.
Hardly anyone there!
We needed the fresh air and the freedom to be out.

lookout point
sooo many switchbacks on this road
I got myself carsick
haha


The General Sherman Tree
The world's largest tree measured by volume!
These trees are unreal.
I kept saying...this looks fake. 
We learned so much about sequoias. 
The seedling for this tree is dated between 700-300 B.C.
Insane.


tree pose :)

giant tree huggers :)


Audrey has more mountain in her than she thinks :)
she just blends right into nature

Chester tries to throw off the sister affection but never wins.
haha


Walking through  the forest I thought...
now here are some trees that make my kids look tiny :)
my bookends have a special bond


tried to get the pine trees in the foreground to contrast the size


This meadow offers the perfect environment for these giant sequoias to thrive

the meadow also is a place where wildlife thrives

Typical in National Parks, you might have one or two families that end up in the same spots as you do :) 
 Our first round with this was a group of older couples...
 they dubbed us the "red head gang"...
(while Audrey looked hopelessly at me as the outcast. It's okay, me too, I say.)
Anyway, the second meetup with our new friends was right after we walked halfway through the loop. They told us...you missed the show! 
We asked what happened.
 He said, right as you passed that tree (above) a Golden Bear came down the hill and out in the meadow.
:)


looking up at God's creations


We watched the top of the golden bear's head bob up and down as it ate these leaves. 
 We saw his little tag on it's ear too. 
I thought, is this good luck in California? 
haha


staring at a sequoia grown over a granite boulder


We hit the Morro Rock trail which is a steep incline carved into the granite with steps leading up to the top of the a sheer drop off where
death lay below :0 
yikes!

but the view was breathtaking and worth it all!

looking toward the Sierra Nevada Range with Mt. Whitney tucked behind one of the other mountain peaks




Believe it or not Chester was not a fan of the height and 
Lucy has an all out fear of heights.
 Her legs were trembling combined with sweaty palms. 
I felt bad about that. She really did want to enjoy it.
So, I scared half of my children to death on this popular hike.
Whoops.


wildflowers growing out of the granite

life can bloom where you think it doesn't have a chance :)

looking out west 


Audrey loved it and thought it was cool :)

check Lucy in the background gripping to the side of the rock :(



more wildflowers popping

We drove through Tunnel Log :)



The smell of these woods is so sweet and pungent ,
it enhanced the experience to heavenly.

Chester was so emotional about being in the woods and playing again.
He said, "well, I guess I just have to be a ranger or something so I can live here all the time"
I feel bad, he repeatedly asks me to go to the snow or the mountains...
cannot take the Colorado out of him.
 And that's okay!
(I have missed the mountains too and breathing in a slower pace of life)


It was just good to get away.
I know Clay would like to be with us on these adventures.
 But he works and has always worked so much.
In 2012 I took my first real trip alone with the kids and have enjoyed doing so each year. We didn't get our #springbreakmom trip so...this was nice to do. 
It helps me with my self confidence even when I am lost or anxious about where everything is.
 haha
Ask the kids one day about me missing signs all the time.
 I have my inept moments :)



Taken on our way out to Clovis for the night to meet Clay. 
Lemon Cove was the name of the town of 190 people.
🍋
 All lemon groves.
 
Along with this old gas station.
 I'd like to turn this around into a cool shop:)
books and art and fabric and baked lemon goods
(like a script from a Hallmark movie)
Ideas on the road.
Someday, one of my ideas will come to fruition.
Until then, we'll keep exploring.
Kings Canyon up next!
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Post #40 The Ninja Room

The room my family has been waiting for.  Seriously!  I knew when we decided to turn this into a hang out room versus another bedroom(sorry teenage Lucy) it would be the end all at the Milkbarn.  In the 70's, when I grew up, this type of room was called a den. Rightly so. They were usually planked with wood siding and padded with two toned shag carpet. Nowadays I hear the word lounge to describe this space which only conjures up images of 20 somethings in the 90's  (ahem, that was me)   congregating at hip places with lots of sectional seating and guys thinking cigars were cool while I thought it seemed all so ridiculous.  So our children, upon carpet installation, commandeered the room for fighting and wrestling and so forth.  They named it The Ninja Room . No den, no lounge...just the ninja room. We love that they named it. We wanted to put up all of our family photographs  in a more personal space. ...

The Lofty Summer Project

Summer Milkbarn projects! We had so many plans and then like anything,  summer came and kind of went (well, unless you count the 25 days left of actual summer).  We accomplished 2 things.  Here is the the boys room remodel.  We haven't completed the built in book shelves but this is a pretty amazing re-do since it was a pretty nasty room to start with. Before photos   (after I delightfully cleaned, donated and organized the boys belongings! well, not all of them) Right below this crack through their ceiling slept Henry  in the top bunk. If I was him, I would've imagined monsters or something trying to break in from another dimension... oh wait, that is Stranger Things on Netflix ( okay, so that was my 3rd summer project)  old paint swatches from 2 1/2 years ago lightening speed around here! Ripped up the carpet and remains of a rainbow loom rip rainbow looms After the carpet and linoleum un...

The Milkbarn Path

Before fall came, Clay was determined to design and construct a walkway to the Milkbarn. Yay!!! Because we had a very narrow, shoddy (what? shoddy at the milbarn? *gasp*) ,  unevenly paved sidewalk to the front door which we knew needed a serious redo.  We bought the pavers from Lowes awhile ago and had them piled up in front of the house for months.  FYI, voles make homes under pavers.   Doesn't it look awesome ? Nice, wide, perfect curve and now easy to shovel when the snow comes. The curve looks just right against the angles of the house. I planted some tulips under the trees and near the front door.  I'm not holding my breath that anything will come up given my gardening expertise.  But again, I do believe in miracles. :) Truth! ! 1600 Sq. ft and going strong...and now with a pathway! I was trying to think of all the photos that have a pathway or walkway in them.  Here we are at the Fort Colli...