Skip to main content

Scouting California

Glenwood Springs
Here we are on a quickly decided trip to California.

Clay forgot to book his ticket in all the chaos of finishing the Milkbarn, so we drove out with him in one shot.
 My plan was to visit schools and see homes and have the kids visualize where they will be living soon!

some excitement, some trepidation

frisbee stretch

gross!

exactly

After driving the first 10 hours, we switched seats and I got to look at those desert clouds

I love clouds and have been contemplating for sometime to make a mixed media selection of work with clouds. 

Lucy the 16 year old!

While checking everything out we got a dose of reality with temps hitting 107. 
We aren't in Kansas anymore :)

good thing we had a hotel pool

Buenavista Beach
We had a day in between school visits and home shopping, so we headed an hour to the beach!
It was a nice local stop and clean and fun




a couple blocks from the beach was a great frozen yogurt place :)


Here we are sitting in someone's courtyard while looking at the house...still so hot!

Returned to Boulder and captured these moments of low clouds moving fast through the flatirons

and a beautiful sunrise on the Milkbarn

The kids are feeling okay but there are tears about leaving friends and beautiful Boulder. It has not been easy. There have been a lot of challenges to this move. I still know it was the right thing to do and where we need to be. I'm not sure why I thought there would be some amount of ease in the move. 
It is also hard to watch "hard" happen to your children. 
I know it will strengthen them. 
I can't take it away and if I did I would be depriving them of growth. We are moving to a really different kind of place, it will take awhile to adjust but I plan on celebrating each accomplishment for all of them. 
I haven't been the best and most calm mother either.
 But I am excited to go, to reach, to try harder and to see what life has for us there. 
So far, warm summer nights are there and perfect :) 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Post #40 The Ninja Room

The room my family has been waiting for.  Seriously!  I knew when we decided to turn this into a hang out room versus another bedroom(sorry teenage Lucy) it would be the end all at the Milkbarn.  In the 70's, when I grew up, this type of room was called a den. Rightly so. They were usually planked with wood siding and padded with two toned shag carpet. Nowadays I hear the word lounge to describe this space which only conjures up images of 20 somethings in the 90's  (ahem, that was me)   congregating at hip places with lots of sectional seating and guys thinking cigars were cool while I thought it seemed all so ridiculous.  So our children, upon carpet installation, commandeered the room for fighting and wrestling and so forth.  They named it The Ninja Room . No den, no lounge...just the ninja room. We love that they named it. We wanted to put up all of our family photographs  in a more personal space. ...

The Lofty Summer Project

Summer Milkbarn projects! We had so many plans and then like anything,  summer came and kind of went (well, unless you count the 25 days left of actual summer).  We accomplished 2 things.  Here is the the boys room remodel.  We haven't completed the built in book shelves but this is a pretty amazing re-do since it was a pretty nasty room to start with. Before photos   (after I delightfully cleaned, donated and organized the boys belongings! well, not all of them) Right below this crack through their ceiling slept Henry  in the top bunk. If I was him, I would've imagined monsters or something trying to break in from another dimension... oh wait, that is Stranger Things on Netflix ( okay, so that was my 3rd summer project)  old paint swatches from 2 1/2 years ago lightening speed around here! Ripped up the carpet and remains of a rainbow loom rip rainbow looms After the carpet and linoleum un...

The Milkbarn Path

Before fall came, Clay was determined to design and construct a walkway to the Milkbarn. Yay!!! Because we had a very narrow, shoddy (what? shoddy at the milbarn? *gasp*) ,  unevenly paved sidewalk to the front door which we knew needed a serious redo.  We bought the pavers from Lowes awhile ago and had them piled up in front of the house for months.  FYI, voles make homes under pavers.   Doesn't it look awesome ? Nice, wide, perfect curve and now easy to shovel when the snow comes. The curve looks just right against the angles of the house. I planted some tulips under the trees and near the front door.  I'm not holding my breath that anything will come up given my gardening expertise.  But again, I do believe in miracles. :) Truth! ! 1600 Sq. ft and going strong...and now with a pathway! I was trying to think of all the photos that have a pathway or walkway in them.  Here we are at the Fort Colli...