Skip to main content

Post #40 The Ninja Room

The room my family has been waiting for.
 Seriously! 
I knew when we decided to turn this into a hang out room versus another bedroom(sorry teenage Lucy) it would be the end all at the Milkbarn. 
In the 70's, when I grew up, this type of room was called a den. Rightly so. They were usually planked with wood siding and padded with two toned shag carpet. Nowadays I hear the word lounge to describe this space which only conjures up images of 20 somethings in the 90's 
(ahem, that was me)  
congregating at hip places with lots of sectional seating and guys thinking cigars were cool while I thought it seemed all so ridiculous. 


So our children, upon carpet installation, commandeered the room for fighting and wrestling and so forth. 
They named it The Ninja Room.
No den, no lounge...just the ninja room.
We love that they named it.





We wanted to put up all of our family photographs 
in a more personal space.


This is our IKEA hack. 
We bought 5 bookshelves and created a built in system.
 We will be topping it with a piece of hickory to warm it all up in the next couple of months! 

My stash of found objects. 
Glass balls from my father in law which were attached to fishing nets up in Alaska, shells and rocks from beaches we have been too, and a trail marker from our portaging adventures in the
 Adirondak National Forest. 
I think memories make a room too.


Here is the ninja room under construction


New windows!



Looking over the lovely water feature/stereo storage into the old kitchen(now the ninja room). We lopped off that doorway at an angle and closed it off to add more room to the main space and give the ninja room more privacy.  

I took this the day we moved in.


I might miss that faux brick linoleum flooring. 
And that oven is still mine.
 Imagine floating hearts above my head when I dream about it :) 
It's waiting for us to restore a craftsman one day
(one of many daydreams)
Okay and the TV on that angled wall. 
Excellent Netflix watching.
 Have you seen Legends? So good!



We converted the giant blueberry Love Sac into a 
smaller one(shown above). 
In fact, we have enough filling for 3 although that seems excessive for a 1700 sq, ft. home.

Arrival of the giant blueberry

getting ready to pour

Dad  sitting on it to compress the filling during 
a Dr. Pepper break. 
I hacked Love Sac and made my own liner for the new cover.

It took 4 of us.
 This seemed like harder work than it should've been for a bean bag!

I wish we looked this poetic while working. When I saw this piece shared by a friend on Facebook I immediately was drawn to it.
 I thought, that is our life.



I never thought my life would be here, looking at these mountains and making friends with neighbors and critters, getting ready for storms to come in and wearing puffy jackets.

I thought we would be in a city, 
taking buses, taking in art, taking in food, and culture. 

But life is beautiful.
 Even the right lighting can make the last side to be sided 
look romantic.

The Mustang remains though.
Some things should not change:)


As well as my affinity for Charlie Brown movies. 
The new one was so cute and leave it to me to not know the theater switched to reserved seating.
Good grief.

Audrey's M&M concert.
 She loves it, the whole 4th and 5th grade participate.
These are our arts.


Now onto unpacking the main room.

downtown Boulder
Goodbye fall.
 The giant windstorm cranking 94mph winds at the Milkbarn 2 days ago made way for winter to show up. 
Maybe this year I will fall in love with winter?
Hmmm...some things might not change.

Comments

  1. Oh, I needed a little dose of milkbarn. I love the ninja room. I can't believe that was your old kitchen. But i think I figured it out. . .You guys are really super heroes and you built the milkbarn to disguise your secret lair. Perfect cover up. I'm on to you Collins family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can't wait to see it all and see all of you! Maybe in the Spring! Ann

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can't wait to see it all and see all of you! Maybe in the Spring! Ann

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Lofty Summer Project

Summer Milkbarn projects! We had so many plans and then like anything,  summer came and kind of went (well, unless you count the 25 days left of actual summer).  We accomplished 2 things.  Here is the the boys room remodel.  We haven't completed the built in book shelves but this is a pretty amazing re-do since it was a pretty nasty room to start with. Before photos   (after I delightfully cleaned, donated and organized the boys belongings! well, not all of them) Right below this crack through their ceiling slept Henry  in the top bunk. If I was him, I would've imagined monsters or something trying to break in from another dimension... oh wait, that is Stranger Things on Netflix ( okay, so that was my 3rd summer project)  old paint swatches from 2 1/2 years ago lightening speed around here! Ripped up the carpet and remains of a rainbow loom rip rainbow looms After the carpet and linoleum un...

Costumes and Windows

Our shady tree Our favorite tree holds this swing we pulled out of the "jungle room"...remember the room with the Bali mural and plants everywhere that left our collective heads scratching? The swing survived the excavating. Anyway, our swing is a place where we play, snack,  talk, think, hold hands, lean on each other and (maybe)escape. Or watch bunnies. RIP Ernie. (My bunny friend that never ran away from me.) I love how the Milkbarn looks in the fall. Delivery complete. We filled this dumpster up within a week or two of tearing up the apartment. Windows installed!  The three on the left is where the kitchen sink will be. Early fall morning looking towards the canyon.  Autumn never gets old for me. Our backyard neighbors must be sick of looking at this mess. The kids picked this up unwillingly. Ah, Milkbarn memories. Sleeping in our future kitchen yo. Halloween chaos. I decided this year to make some Halloween...