Skip to main content

Meanwhile down at the Milkbarn....

Anonymous Angel
Two weeks ago an anonymous angel with a penchant for baking left us this sweet note on our doorstep. It made my week and I really did feel so loved and validated. I wondered how long this person took to find our house in the dark with no front lights on and a mother(me) who was apparently yelling "for the love!!" at my kids the night it was dropped off. The night Henry banged into my cheekbone with his head. Holy cow that hurt.

Angel Treats
But these made it all better. Thank you to the person I think it is but will not divulge their identity... so you can just keep doing this for others!


Meanwhile back at the Milkbarn, we started on the master bedroom. Here is Clay hammering out and readying a place for a sliding glass door.

Lumberjack Clay
Clay's handlebar mustache, sideburns facial hair combo really completed the whole look when demoing the bedroom. He recently took a "corporate portrait". I thought this would've worked! Who needs a nice shirt and a  suit jacket to say you can get the job done. Although, this photo also can communicate...I have friends in prison(which I think he does).

Back in early February, Grandpa helped Clay with raising the roof of the master bedroom. I will note here that it was 3 degrees outside and in the room. He was a great help to Clay and it provided excellent bonding. Holding up walls in freezing temps makes for good memories. Between Clay and Bill, anything can get done. Alaskan men.

Lifting a house up. 



Foam construction hats work, right? But how cute is that crack? 
Sorry future Chester.
 

west facing master bedroom

Before slider and windows
You are not looking at a fire hazard. I promise.


Installed slider with new window to the left

Master bedroom view
There are 2 sheds right outside the room. We should totally keep them up. Who needs to look at the mountains when you can have sheds  and debris right out your window.
Soon, they'll be gone but for now they are good for hiding construction that may or may not be permitted.
Master bath frame up
Here's our soon to be bathroom. Look, our new front door is standing in the shower.

Getting ready to insulate. P.S. I did this!!!
Our little milkbarn is not insulated. Example, Boulder County requisite ceiling insulation is 18 inches thick. Guess what we have?
2 inches

It was a cold winter with icicles 3 feet long. 

Ceiling detail in the master
I

The door to most of my excitement. 
My soon to be closet.
Two things I wanted in this house the most. Windows facing the mountains over our kitchen sink and his and hers closets. That's code for, I want my own closet. You get an entire garage. I just want a closet...for me.Please? 


Thing
Hanging drywall. This makes me think of Thing from the Adams Family. Remember how he would answer the phone and hand Morticia stuff? Now he's hanging drywall.

Thinking
Clay is an incredible contractor. He is a true craftman. But I think he could also be a male model for anything mansome.




Meanwhile, other things happened this week.
Like...

Chester picked his first bouquet for me ever!Check. 

Henry really did get stuck up in one of our trees.


Lucy got braces.

Audrey came with me to Phoenix and bonded with her cousins. 
This is Danny.

I met my new nephew Jonah. 


We caught "Rocky" the raccoon feasting on our trash.  

We'll check in with you when the bedroom is almost complete! Cross your fingers for a June 1st deadline.
Hope is good.

Comments

  1. Woah, woah, what?? Came to Phoenix? You know I live here now? Let me come see you next time you come. I need to change up the monotony a little bit!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The progress may not seem fast enough for you, but it sure is coming along for all of us to see! Thanks for the update. Nice seeing you and Audrey in Phoenix! See you later this month! Looking forward to seeing the milk barn! And of course the rest of the family too! Love Ann/Grandma!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Lofty Summer Project

Summer Milkbarn projects! We had so many plans and then like anything,  summer came and kind of went (well, unless you count the 25 days left of actual summer).  We accomplished 2 things.  Here is the the boys room remodel.  We haven't completed the built in book shelves but this is a pretty amazing re-do since it was a pretty nasty room to start with. Before photos   (after I delightfully cleaned, donated and organized the boys belongings! well, not all of them) Right below this crack through their ceiling slept Henry  in the top bunk. If I was him, I would've imagined monsters or something trying to break in from another dimension... oh wait, that is Stranger Things on Netflix ( okay, so that was my 3rd summer project)  old paint swatches from 2 1/2 years ago lightening speed around here! Ripped up the carpet and remains of a rainbow loom rip rainbow looms After the carpet and linoleum un...

Post #40 The Ninja Room

The room my family has been waiting for.  Seriously!  I knew when we decided to turn this into a hang out room versus another bedroom(sorry teenage Lucy) it would be the end all at the Milkbarn.  In the 70's, when I grew up, this type of room was called a den. Rightly so. They were usually planked with wood siding and padded with two toned shag carpet. Nowadays I hear the word lounge to describe this space which only conjures up images of 20 somethings in the 90's  (ahem, that was me)   congregating at hip places with lots of sectional seating and guys thinking cigars were cool while I thought it seemed all so ridiculous.  So our children, upon carpet installation, commandeered the room for fighting and wrestling and so forth.  They named it The Ninja Room . No den, no lounge...just the ninja room. We love that they named it. We wanted to put up all of our family photographs  in a more personal space. ...

Costumes and Windows

Our shady tree Our favorite tree holds this swing we pulled out of the "jungle room"...remember the room with the Bali mural and plants everywhere that left our collective heads scratching? The swing survived the excavating. Anyway, our swing is a place where we play, snack,  talk, think, hold hands, lean on each other and (maybe)escape. Or watch bunnies. RIP Ernie. (My bunny friend that never ran away from me.) I love how the Milkbarn looks in the fall. Delivery complete. We filled this dumpster up within a week or two of tearing up the apartment. Windows installed!  The three on the left is where the kitchen sink will be. Early fall morning looking towards the canyon.  Autumn never gets old for me. Our backyard neighbors must be sick of looking at this mess. The kids picked this up unwillingly. Ah, Milkbarn memories. Sleeping in our future kitchen yo. Halloween chaos. I decided this year to make some Halloween...