Skip to main content

Okay, let's do this...

Cancelled
here is what has been canceled for our family:

school for the next 4 weeks
(although, they have online school starting Monday)
Drum line
Track and Field
Choir Concert
City basketball championships 
basketball courts at the school(to train for college)
Sunday church and weekly church activities
early morning seminary
PROM
electric guitar lessons
and probably more that I just can't think of!

Postponed
her promised senior trip to New York
and a host of other things...
Thursday was a tearful and disappointing day


she is so good at smiling through her challenges
this has already been a rocky senior year with the fires in the fall, 
her neighboring school shooting that has effected so many of the kid's lives here,
 and now canceling school :(
 the latter part of senior year
(she is super active in her school, has a lot to do with it)

But we get it.
At least I do now.

we called this our apocalyptic 6 am shopping date yesterday

Earlier in the month just felt so normal
I voted!
See?
Normal!

I took a pic of this straw bag to remind me I wanted one for summer.
Normal!

my mom was here two for 2 weeks which was nice.
Here are pics of the nursery we go to. 
Spring feels so good here :)
Normal!


I documented Chester's still impossibly long eyelashes one morning :)

the calla lilies are sprouting in my back yard

all very normal....

the kids had a temple night with our ward !


I drove out to Ojai with my mom for an afternoon. 
Who wouldn't want to live up there?


there were enough hippie hearts there to make me feel a sense of belonging :)
so I felt normal

BYU trying to sway her with a clever tee shirt seemed amusing
"Mom, the fact that a tee shirt could get me to go there is saying something about me" 
haha
maybe that is normal when making such big decisions


So here is that choir concert dress I made for her number with Henry, 
they were so ready for it. Makes me sad.

NEW NORMAL 


I had lunch with Chester yesterday and the press conference from the white house was on but muted. 
At first, I just thought it looked like an SNL skit.
 For real.
But then, as I got the emails from the school district, it seemed very, very real.

And then when Clay told me the 405 was easy breezy on a Friday afternoon...then you know...

So here are the things that are not canceled or things that should not be postponed:
(according to me)
hope
faith
loving others
listening
calling your parents
being a mother, being a father
being grateful 
praying always(alone and with your family)
concern for others 
reading great books
art
MUSIC (this could save us all!)
dancing
laughing
making something
learning(hello internet)
smiling
exercising
planning things for your future to look forward too!

Gretchen Rubin, an author of a few books I have read
(and I just really really like her), 
posted an idea of documenting this time in our lives. 
When have we all had to come together and do something like this? 
Make it a part of your history. 
So, here are my beginning thoughts...pretty basic. 
Nothing terribly deep. 

I think we can all come together and do this.
That's hope.

and....

Action is the antidote for anxiety.


Those deep thoughts might come along later through this whole event. 
I'll be sharing on facebook/instagram. 
Daily :)
 In hopes I can look back on all of this.
In hopes we can show our happiness regardless of our situation and 
promote some faith. 
In hopes to connect regardless of having to keep our distance!

and maybe we 'll even get tik tok
haha
'sigh'









Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Lofty Summer Project

Summer Milkbarn projects! We had so many plans and then like anything,  summer came and kind of went (well, unless you count the 25 days left of actual summer).  We accomplished 2 things.  Here is the the boys room remodel.  We haven't completed the built in book shelves but this is a pretty amazing re-do since it was a pretty nasty room to start with. Before photos   (after I delightfully cleaned, donated and organized the boys belongings! well, not all of them) Right below this crack through their ceiling slept Henry  in the top bunk. If I was him, I would've imagined monsters or something trying to break in from another dimension... oh wait, that is Stranger Things on Netflix ( okay, so that was my 3rd summer project)  old paint swatches from 2 1/2 years ago lightening speed around here! Ripped up the carpet and remains of a rainbow loom rip rainbow looms After the carpet and linoleum un...

Post #40 The Ninja Room

The room my family has been waiting for.  Seriously!  I knew when we decided to turn this into a hang out room versus another bedroom(sorry teenage Lucy) it would be the end all at the Milkbarn.  In the 70's, when I grew up, this type of room was called a den. Rightly so. They were usually planked with wood siding and padded with two toned shag carpet. Nowadays I hear the word lounge to describe this space which only conjures up images of 20 somethings in the 90's  (ahem, that was me)   congregating at hip places with lots of sectional seating and guys thinking cigars were cool while I thought it seemed all so ridiculous.  So our children, upon carpet installation, commandeered the room for fighting and wrestling and so forth.  They named it The Ninja Room . No den, no lounge...just the ninja room. We love that they named it. We wanted to put up all of our family photographs  in a more personal space. ...

The Milkbarn Path

Before fall came, Clay was determined to design and construct a walkway to the Milkbarn. Yay!!! Because we had a very narrow, shoddy (what? shoddy at the milbarn? *gasp*) ,  unevenly paved sidewalk to the front door which we knew needed a serious redo.  We bought the pavers from Lowes awhile ago and had them piled up in front of the house for months.  FYI, voles make homes under pavers.   Doesn't it look awesome ? Nice, wide, perfect curve and now easy to shovel when the snow comes. The curve looks just right against the angles of the house. I planted some tulips under the trees and near the front door.  I'm not holding my breath that anything will come up given my gardening expertise.  But again, I do believe in miracles. :) Truth! ! 1600 Sq. ft and going strong...and now with a pathway! I was trying to think of all the photos that have a pathway or walkway in them.  Here we are at the Fort Colli...