Skip to main content

Meandering through Colorado

one last swing session at the Milkbarn

I had each of the kids take time to remember and say thank you for this time they have had here in Eldorado Springs. It was a special experience for all of us, full of emotion and not on dry eye saying goodbye Milkbarn.

I do not take selfies that often. But I had to document my emotions. I had spent the previous evening at the Milkbarn cleaning up and then took time for reflection and saying goodbye to it. Saying goodbye to a life we built and what it made of me. I am coming away a changed person for sure. We all are :)

photo taken by Janet Meyer on our last Sunday

As the kids and I finished up cleaning out the house and readying our car, I booked a condo in Beaver Creek right past Vail. It was a hilarious turn to wake up and realize we were staying in a country club community. Haha! It was 10 at night and I was so exhausted physically and emotionally. I didn't notice any of it.



Lunching at Beaver Creek Country Club!
We were definitely the youngest table in the place :)

We explored Vail Village and found out it was even more touristy and pricey than I had predicted. I have driven by Vail on the 70 several times and I thought the kids needed to go there before leaving :) 


We meandered our way to Aspen and stopped in Twin Lakes.
 Twin Lakes has 19 residents year round(maybe 50 in the summer) and I didn't want to drive any further! 
It was quaint and beautiful and lovely and I wanted to just stay and be an artist there. But, alas...daydream interrupted. 


The one local food truck made ribbon fries...so we had to try them at Audrey's request. The best memories happen when there is no schedule. We were only meeting Clay that night in Grand Junction. Plus, I knew all too well what was waiting for us. And of course, it turned out to be much more!



Driving up Independence Pass was gorgeous and a bit scary with the drop offs. It began raining, then hailing, then slushy snow plops at the top... Colorado in August :)



Cold at the top!




The beautiful Maroon Bells in Aspen
We took a bus up to the top and hiked around and explored.
 The smoke from the fires in California left a haze but we were told the week before you couldn't even see them!




Leaving Colorado is hard! We all have different paths to make and take in life.I suppose ours is being able to live in different places at different times. So, here we go Clay and Lucy and Henry and Audrey and Chester 💗 just remember, we are all in this together

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Lofty Summer Project

Summer Milkbarn projects! We had so many plans and then like anything,  summer came and kind of went (well, unless you count the 25 days left of actual summer).  We accomplished 2 things.  Here is the the boys room remodel.  We haven't completed the built in book shelves but this is a pretty amazing re-do since it was a pretty nasty room to start with. Before photos   (after I delightfully cleaned, donated and organized the boys belongings! well, not all of them) Right below this crack through their ceiling slept Henry  in the top bunk. If I was him, I would've imagined monsters or something trying to break in from another dimension... oh wait, that is Stranger Things on Netflix ( okay, so that was my 3rd summer project)  old paint swatches from 2 1/2 years ago lightening speed around here! Ripped up the carpet and remains of a rainbow loom rip rainbow looms After the carpet and linoleum un...

Post #40 The Ninja Room

The room my family has been waiting for.  Seriously!  I knew when we decided to turn this into a hang out room versus another bedroom(sorry teenage Lucy) it would be the end all at the Milkbarn.  In the 70's, when I grew up, this type of room was called a den. Rightly so. They were usually planked with wood siding and padded with two toned shag carpet. Nowadays I hear the word lounge to describe this space which only conjures up images of 20 somethings in the 90's  (ahem, that was me)   congregating at hip places with lots of sectional seating and guys thinking cigars were cool while I thought it seemed all so ridiculous.  So our children, upon carpet installation, commandeered the room for fighting and wrestling and so forth.  They named it The Ninja Room . No den, no lounge...just the ninja room. We love that they named it. We wanted to put up all of our family photographs  in a more personal space. ...

The Milkbarn Path

Before fall came, Clay was determined to design and construct a walkway to the Milkbarn. Yay!!! Because we had a very narrow, shoddy (what? shoddy at the milbarn? *gasp*) ,  unevenly paved sidewalk to the front door which we knew needed a serious redo.  We bought the pavers from Lowes awhile ago and had them piled up in front of the house for months.  FYI, voles make homes under pavers.   Doesn't it look awesome ? Nice, wide, perfect curve and now easy to shovel when the snow comes. The curve looks just right against the angles of the house. I planted some tulips under the trees and near the front door.  I'm not holding my breath that anything will come up given my gardening expertise.  But again, I do believe in miracles. :) Truth! ! 1600 Sq. ft and going strong...and now with a pathway! I was trying to think of all the photos that have a pathway or walkway in them.  Here we are at the Fort Colli...