Skip to main content

Painting the Milkbarn

Possible exterior paint

Two years ago I wrote a post about paint colors I wanted to use in the Milkbarn. 
At one point, there were 21 samples up around the house painted on sections of wall. 
Warm whites, cool whites, gray in every tone, creams...
it kind of made me crazy(kind of means it did). 
I thought somehow finding paint would ease my mind about how bad of shape the house was in.
Come to find out, paint cannot fix everything!


The best way to get the right colors is to:
1. live in the space for 2 years (okay, I'm kidding there)
2. look outside and see what colors of nature you can pull in
3.  get some swatches up and watch how they look throughout the day (this includes night time!)
4. Paint should show off the room rather than hide it
5. If it puts a smile on your face, you got it. 



 
This is the cheat sheet I illustrated for the Milkbarn. 
That way I could see how the color moved throughout the house.
I used all Benjamin Moore paint colors and had them mixed 
at Home Depot (because I'm that cheap because it's just easy).
In the end, I chose colors that were outside of my home...greens and blues in muted whites. 
The house is small and I need it to be light and airy and not compete with the beauty outside our windows.

The main room and hallway is painted in Icicle. 
It has a green undertone.
I had less than an hour to pick it out. 
I wanted White Dove but it was super peachy white so, yeah, not working. 


Master Bedroom in Seattle Gray.

This color leads into the master bath so it had to work with tile and wood floors. I think I got it right. 

It would be an understatement to say we are tired of painting. 
But paint means we are so close, so I like the painting part.


The lounge room 
(which I predict to be the favorite in the house) 
is White Wisp. 
Grey carpet was installed last week!
I really wanted to go dark in that lounge but Clay said, "there's a difference between feeling like a den or feeling like a dungeon".
That middle one is Rockport, which I really liked!
Again, it's good to get feedback and the color chosen is an icy white blue, very relaxing and matches Skyrim....


 A quick flashback to before. 



The girls room is painted in Gray Owl.


The bathroom color is November Rain.
 Because I still like Guns n' Roses.
Our mudroom/ laundry room is painted in the same color.

That poor mural, it handled 14 swatches well.

All this paint talk is pretty boring for some but I am borderline passionate about it. 
Chester actually fell asleep in the paint store once, 
maybe the passion was too hard to handle.

The boys room isn't done but I've given them options on whats left in the cans :)


And so life goes on, fall is painting the valley where we live in 
cozy seasonal colors.


The kids are wearing hoodies.

Playing board games together, 
Chester is a killer Risk player.

We've been hanging out on the bleachers for games.

Lucy tried out for a competitive volleyball league.

They finished soccer season (phew!)



And all the fall leaves are almost down.
I'll wipe away my tears, it never lasts long enough!

Comments

  1. I'm a big fan of grayish wall color! But I also know it's very difficult to pick a right one. You did a fantastic job! Love it! I just wish I could be there to do all these renovation with you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! It is really coming together! Hope we will be able to come see you all soon!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Post #40 The Ninja Room

The room my family has been waiting for.  Seriously!  I knew when we decided to turn this into a hang out room versus another bedroom(sorry teenage Lucy) it would be the end all at the Milkbarn.  In the 70's, when I grew up, this type of room was called a den. Rightly so. They were usually planked with wood siding and padded with two toned shag carpet. Nowadays I hear the word lounge to describe this space which only conjures up images of 20 somethings in the 90's  (ahem, that was me)   congregating at hip places with lots of sectional seating and guys thinking cigars were cool while I thought it seemed all so ridiculous.  So our children, upon carpet installation, commandeered the room for fighting and wrestling and so forth.  They named it The Ninja Room . No den, no lounge...just the ninja room. We love that they named it. We wanted to put up all of our family photographs  in a more personal space. ...

Sports Mom Era

I think I saw this coming but maybe I didn't really see this coming:) I am a sports mom. Plain and simple. I had other hats too like library mom, classroom aid mom, costumes for musicals mom, outdoorsy hiking mom, musical mom, jazz band mom, tech crew mom, art mom, spring break mom, etc etc etc But sports mom has been a pretty big theme in my life:) So, in honor of my Dad's birthday today and his absolute love of sports, I share this to save the memoires.  Because one day, it will be just that, sweet and crazy sports mom era memories:) Okay, so I love JV games because the weather at 4pm in the Bay Area and even coast side was amazing last year. Tee shirt and jeans? Heavenly  Fall 2024 (he already looks different) Friday morning fits Becky Ruppel photography↑ In the middle of football season lies the beast of the high school basketball pancake breakfast. It was actually fun to serve all of the people coming through... even the complainers...haha Homecoming! And nothing better t...

The Milkbarn Path

Before fall came, Clay was determined to design and construct a walkway to the Milkbarn. Yay!!! Because we had a very narrow, shoddy (what? shoddy at the milbarn? *gasp*) ,  unevenly paved sidewalk to the front door which we knew needed a serious redo.  We bought the pavers from Lowes awhile ago and had them piled up in front of the house for months.  FYI, voles make homes under pavers.   Doesn't it look awesome ? Nice, wide, perfect curve and now easy to shovel when the snow comes. The curve looks just right against the angles of the house. I planted some tulips under the trees and near the front door.  I'm not holding my breath that anything will come up given my gardening expertise.  But again, I do believe in miracles. :) Truth! ! 1600 Sq. ft and going strong...and now with a pathway! I was trying to think of all the photos that have a pathway or walkway in them.  Here we are at the Fort Colli...