Skip to main content

Mom Thoughts

I want to say rather loudly...
"make them stop growing up!"
 Clay says...
"I can't wait to see what they become or do"
And I'm like...maybe?
 Sometimes I miss them cuddling up to me on the couch.
Sometimes I miss that immediate gratification of motherhood.
Motherhood for me has been my greatest calling on earth. 
Full stop. 
The challenges involved and the joys involved have built my confidence and self esteem like no other experience.
And I've had to tear down and rebuild a lot of the time :)
I never went into this thinking somehow I knew all the things I should do or all the things I would be as a mother.
For instance, as a designer I thought I would care a whole lot about what they wore or how they looked (especially at church when they were little)!
 Turns out I valued their individuality, creativity and independence way more than styling them.
I have come to find out there was no set path for all of them to follow but if there was a recipe that I have created, a path so to speak,  it would be that Clay and I have pushed them to  be their own person. 
Do your own thing.
 Keep God close.
It's okay to be different.
Don't peak in high school...hahaha.
Here I am pregnant with Lucy :)
I cried continually in this first experience of pregnancy out of gratitude. 
Could have been hormones but I am a serious crier!
I'd be driving to my early morning BART ride to work and tears would well up. 
I was just so humbled and  overwhelmed with gratitude.
 I finally was at the moment I had wanted with all my heart,
in love with my husband, pregnant and ready to have her. 
A few years ago Clay said to me,
 "we had a baby and we really didn't even know each other".
hahaha
So true.
I am most proud of the time I have given my family. 
I do a lot of things wrong but I think the time I give them has been right.
My first one is grown and flown but Clay was right...
I do love seeing this journey for them.
 The ups and downs of life will always be in place.
There's no getting away from life:)
My deepest desire is to give them not just a soft landing but a steady landing.

I love being a mother💖
Happy Mother's Day!



 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Lofty Summer Project

Summer Milkbarn projects! We had so many plans and then like anything,  summer came and kind of went (well, unless you count the 25 days left of actual summer).  We accomplished 2 things.  Here is the the boys room remodel.  We haven't completed the built in book shelves but this is a pretty amazing re-do since it was a pretty nasty room to start with. Before photos   (after I delightfully cleaned, donated and organized the boys belongings! well, not all of them) Right below this crack through their ceiling slept Henry  in the top bunk. If I was him, I would've imagined monsters or something trying to break in from another dimension... oh wait, that is Stranger Things on Netflix ( okay, so that was my 3rd summer project)  old paint swatches from 2 1/2 years ago lightening speed around here! Ripped up the carpet and remains of a rainbow loom rip rainbow looms After the carpet and linoleum un...

Post #40 The Ninja Room

The room my family has been waiting for.  Seriously!  I knew when we decided to turn this into a hang out room versus another bedroom(sorry teenage Lucy) it would be the end all at the Milkbarn.  In the 70's, when I grew up, this type of room was called a den. Rightly so. They were usually planked with wood siding and padded with two toned shag carpet. Nowadays I hear the word lounge to describe this space which only conjures up images of 20 somethings in the 90's  (ahem, that was me)   congregating at hip places with lots of sectional seating and guys thinking cigars were cool while I thought it seemed all so ridiculous.  So our children, upon carpet installation, commandeered the room for fighting and wrestling and so forth.  They named it The Ninja Room . No den, no lounge...just the ninja room. We love that they named it. We wanted to put up all of our family photographs  in a more personal space. ...

Costumes and Windows

Our shady tree Our favorite tree holds this swing we pulled out of the "jungle room"...remember the room with the Bali mural and plants everywhere that left our collective heads scratching? The swing survived the excavating. Anyway, our swing is a place where we play, snack,  talk, think, hold hands, lean on each other and (maybe)escape. Or watch bunnies. RIP Ernie. (My bunny friend that never ran away from me.) I love how the Milkbarn looks in the fall. Delivery complete. We filled this dumpster up within a week or two of tearing up the apartment. Windows installed!  The three on the left is where the kitchen sink will be. Early fall morning looking towards the canyon.  Autumn never gets old for me. Our backyard neighbors must be sick of looking at this mess. The kids picked this up unwillingly. Ah, Milkbarn memories. Sleeping in our future kitchen yo. Halloween chaos. I decided this year to make some Halloween...