Skip to main content

Milkbarn: Before and Afters

Our before and after photos of the Milkbarn.
It is hard to believe we did this!
It is hard to believe I agreed to this!

There was huge a amount of rocks everywhere. And water features.
And spiders. And trespassing raccoons. And giant, howling windstorms. And cute deer. And fun picnics. And so many memories.



To the left was our bedroom, it really did have creepy stains on the carpet and the SMALLEST bathroom ever. 
Think airplane bathroom size with Chris Farley getting stuck in it.
haha

the beloved alpine lake mural

Former kitchen turned ninja room



the boys room was really gross with cracks in the ceiling and dry wall...it looked like the monster coming out of the wall in Stranger Things...holy shnikeys

The girls room was done second to the bathroom

the ultimate shot of clay riding a machine in our future master bedroom
why didn't we keep the mural?
(so many murals)
That bench swing still survives under our tree just outside our windows :)

How many dumpsters have we had? 
3 big ones
How many trips to the dump?
8-10?
How many Dr.Peppers?
4,380 give or take
:)
 
This seems like the most dramatic before and after because it is!
That room was crazy and when the flood hit before we moved in,
  those plants came back to life :)
We called it the jungle room...for obvious reasons
jungle room turned master bath as well

here are some befores of our family

this was one of those poignant moments in life:)
Clay was working in Charlotte for a year without us knowing it would be a year.
 It was tough.  
taken right before we moved into the Milkbarn

our first christmas at the Milkbarn :)
the after shot :)


What started out as a blog to answer questions about our house has turned into our family history. 
I didn't write down too much of the hard stuff 
(I saved that for my personal journal)
 because I knew I was sharing it with friends, or even friends of friends and of course family. I didn't want to be judged or revered. I felt like it was helping me in my creative endeavors and you were helping me by cheering us on.
 Now I can look back and smile.
Although, I know it wasn't all smiles.

I don't know how much I will share in the future but it has been so fun to take you all on this journey with us. 
I love that show Fixer Upper. 
It came out and I was like, look! someone else is crazy too:)
Clay briefly thumbed through Chip's book and shared with me something that resonated with us. 
Our life has been a series of being all in or all out.
And in order to do that I think we have been risk takers.
I'm not good at calculating risk
(maybe if we were we would never do anything, haha). 
But I am good at taking a leap with two feet in.


I think our leap paid off.
We gave our kids some stories to tell :)



And can I tell you how good it is to sit on my front porch 
and take a deep breath?

It is the best feeling.

↞↞Happy Summer↠↠












Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Post #40 The Ninja Room

The room my family has been waiting for.  Seriously!  I knew when we decided to turn this into a hang out room versus another bedroom(sorry teenage Lucy) it would be the end all at the Milkbarn.  In the 70's, when I grew up, this type of room was called a den. Rightly so. They were usually planked with wood siding and padded with two toned shag carpet. Nowadays I hear the word lounge to describe this space which only conjures up images of 20 somethings in the 90's  (ahem, that was me)   congregating at hip places with lots of sectional seating and guys thinking cigars were cool while I thought it seemed all so ridiculous.  So our children, upon carpet installation, commandeered the room for fighting and wrestling and so forth.  They named it The Ninja Room . No den, no lounge...just the ninja room. We love that they named it. We wanted to put up all of our family photographs  in a more personal space. ...

The Milkbarn Path

Before fall came, Clay was determined to design and construct a walkway to the Milkbarn. Yay!!! Because we had a very narrow, shoddy (what? shoddy at the milbarn? *gasp*) ,  unevenly paved sidewalk to the front door which we knew needed a serious redo.  We bought the pavers from Lowes awhile ago and had them piled up in front of the house for months.  FYI, voles make homes under pavers.   Doesn't it look awesome ? Nice, wide, perfect curve and now easy to shovel when the snow comes. The curve looks just right against the angles of the house. I planted some tulips under the trees and near the front door.  I'm not holding my breath that anything will come up given my gardening expertise.  But again, I do believe in miracles. :) Truth! ! 1600 Sq. ft and going strong...and now with a pathway! I was trying to think of all the photos that have a pathway or walkway in them.  Here we are at the Fort Colli...

Costumes and Windows

Our shady tree Our favorite tree holds this swing we pulled out of the "jungle room"...remember the room with the Bali mural and plants everywhere that left our collective heads scratching? The swing survived the excavating. Anyway, our swing is a place where we play, snack,  talk, think, hold hands, lean on each other and (maybe)escape. Or watch bunnies. RIP Ernie. (My bunny friend that never ran away from me.) I love how the Milkbarn looks in the fall. Delivery complete. We filled this dumpster up within a week or two of tearing up the apartment. Windows installed!  The three on the left is where the kitchen sink will be. Early fall morning looking towards the canyon.  Autumn never gets old for me. Our backyard neighbors must be sick of looking at this mess. The kids picked this up unwillingly. Ah, Milkbarn memories. Sleeping in our future kitchen yo. Halloween chaos. I decided this year to make some Halloween...