Skip to main content

Milkbarn Conversations: Hey, Let's Make some Cider!?

Apple tree bonanza has happened at the Milkbarn

We have some out of control crab apple trees growing on our property
and one golden delicious tree twisting up through the crab apple
(you can see the trunk below!). 
Clay and Lucy were in charge of our family home evening treat so they thought we should make cider.

We can't really pick the apples, so leave it to Clay to have a method.
Paint tarp, check.
Four Collins kids to hold corners, check.

Shake shake shake
Can you see him on the roof? Through the branches?
This is when I'm like...aren't these apples going to pummel us on the way down?

Part of the load...all golden delicious



Sorting. 
I heard a lot of "there's an earwig!! there's an earwig!!"
None of us really like bugs.
It must be hereditary.


By the way, we were pummeled by apples. 

Photo op. 
Try and look natural, okay?
Goobers.



I love it when he rakes and forgets what he is doing and begins some kind of ninja training session. 
The girls were the assigned apple cutters
Boiling apples
Now this is when we had a glitch

At this point I stopped taking pictures.
No cheesecloth to strain it with. 

I can't believe I don't have that handy. 
I mean, has Martha taught me nothing?
 So, Clay grabbed a wash cloth. 
Uh, that did not work.

Maybe an apple press is in need here?
 I know about those from Clay and Williams Sonoma catalogs.
I mean, why don't I have an apple press on hand? 

I'll add that to the list with baked donut pan(I really want one of those but Clay keeps scoffing at the notion of baking a donut), a decent muffin pan( in 2004 it slid off the roof of my car, I was pregnant okay!), a blender(but that just barely broke 6 months ago), oooh maybe a turkey fryer?
...you see the trend. 

 Anyway, the tee shirt was good enough to yield 3 1/2 cups of pulpy apple cider.
I forgot to take a photo of it.

I think this was one of those times the process is the event and  the outcome is a trip to Trader Joe's.



Our seasons worth.


It's a beautiful fall season out here in Eldorado Springs and a year since we moved into our Milkbarn. 
We'll be finished putting in all the windows tomorrow and maybe paint our front door if the sun is out.

I pinky swear, my next post will have some progress with lovely random photos of debris.  





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Post #40 The Ninja Room

The room my family has been waiting for.  Seriously!  I knew when we decided to turn this into a hang out room versus another bedroom(sorry teenage Lucy) it would be the end all at the Milkbarn.  In the 70's, when I grew up, this type of room was called a den. Rightly so. They were usually planked with wood siding and padded with two toned shag carpet. Nowadays I hear the word lounge to describe this space which only conjures up images of 20 somethings in the 90's  (ahem, that was me)   congregating at hip places with lots of sectional seating and guys thinking cigars were cool while I thought it seemed all so ridiculous.  So our children, upon carpet installation, commandeered the room for fighting and wrestling and so forth.  They named it The Ninja Room . No den, no lounge...just the ninja room. We love that they named it. We wanted to put up all of our family photographs  in a more personal space. ...

The Lofty Summer Project

Summer Milkbarn projects! We had so many plans and then like anything,  summer came and kind of went (well, unless you count the 25 days left of actual summer).  We accomplished 2 things.  Here is the the boys room remodel.  We haven't completed the built in book shelves but this is a pretty amazing re-do since it was a pretty nasty room to start with. Before photos   (after I delightfully cleaned, donated and organized the boys belongings! well, not all of them) Right below this crack through their ceiling slept Henry  in the top bunk. If I was him, I would've imagined monsters or something trying to break in from another dimension... oh wait, that is Stranger Things on Netflix ( okay, so that was my 3rd summer project)  old paint swatches from 2 1/2 years ago lightening speed around here! Ripped up the carpet and remains of a rainbow loom rip rainbow looms After the carpet and linoleum un...

The Milkbarn Path

Before fall came, Clay was determined to design and construct a walkway to the Milkbarn. Yay!!! Because we had a very narrow, shoddy (what? shoddy at the milbarn? *gasp*) ,  unevenly paved sidewalk to the front door which we knew needed a serious redo.  We bought the pavers from Lowes awhile ago and had them piled up in front of the house for months.  FYI, voles make homes under pavers.   Doesn't it look awesome ? Nice, wide, perfect curve and now easy to shovel when the snow comes. The curve looks just right against the angles of the house. I planted some tulips under the trees and near the front door.  I'm not holding my breath that anything will come up given my gardening expertise.  But again, I do believe in miracles. :) Truth! ! 1600 Sq. ft and going strong...and now with a pathway! I was trying to think of all the photos that have a pathway or walkway in them.  Here we are at the Fort Colli...