Skip to main content

Three Stoves and a Bridge

Great place for a bunny hideout.
When we bought the Milkbarn...it had quite the inventory of appliances. This week we said goodbye to most of them. My favorite was the old white fridge in the driveway:)
 It looked great with snow all around. 
There really is nothing more welcoming on a front door step than a washer and dryer on it's side...and one more chocolate brown fridge. We also inherited the stove featured in the hit series, Bewitched. I didn't get a photo of that one. Too bad, it was really funky with lots of folding action. Like part appliance/part origami. So far we had 2 water heaters, 1 boiler, 2 refrigerators, 2 washers, 2 dryers and 3 stoves. 
Among the jumble of appliances there was a diamond in the rough. An O'Keefe & Merritt stove. Humbly positioned in the corner of the kitchen as if to say, I'm no big deal. I tried to play it cool but I'm pretty sure this "free bee" sealed the deal for me. Fate led me to an article in REAL SIMPLE magazine about a woman who had my same exact stove and her love affair with it. I contacted Antique Stove Heaven in L.A. 
I got a quote.
For the price of a family vacation I could have her completely re-hauled AND...choose a different color for a new porcelain finish. What color would you do?
 I am doing a white farmhouse kitchen...for now at least. I'd love to hear comments. 

Pancake griddle underneath top.
 "Oh...you're the ones with the new bridge" says Lucy's bus driver. This is how people know who we are back in the canyon.
 There was a rickety one that the 100 year flood washed out.
 Plus, I would've driven right off of it. 
So Clay enlisted some serious help from friends and work, was gifted some gravel and borrowed machines galore and of course, railroad ties.
Centering himself post concrete pour.
Mike. He told Clay at the work party he loved him. Everyone needs a Mike.
  Anders. 
A great voice of construction reason. Chester is basking in his glow.
The completed bridge. Strong and hopefully flood proof. 
2 weeks ago before all that winter came again.
The northwest view. Good looking bridge by my good looking contractor.
By the way, he did raise our master bedroom roof line in negative degree weather 2 days ago. I was too scared to look because when the contractor says it's dangerous, I think what he is trying to say is...

the walls might fall down on you and I'd like you to live. 

Comments

  1. You seem very close to your contractor. In a good way. :)

    Sarina

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Lofty Summer Project

Summer Milkbarn projects! We had so many plans and then like anything,  summer came and kind of went (well, unless you count the 25 days left of actual summer).  We accomplished 2 things.  Here is the the boys room remodel.  We haven't completed the built in book shelves but this is a pretty amazing re-do since it was a pretty nasty room to start with. Before photos   (after I delightfully cleaned, donated and organized the boys belongings! well, not all of them) Right below this crack through their ceiling slept Henry  in the top bunk. If I was him, I would've imagined monsters or something trying to break in from another dimension... oh wait, that is Stranger Things on Netflix ( okay, so that was my 3rd summer project)  old paint swatches from 2 1/2 years ago lightening speed around here! Ripped up the carpet and remains of a rainbow loom rip rainbow looms After the carpet and linoleum un...

Post #40 The Ninja Room

The room my family has been waiting for.  Seriously!  I knew when we decided to turn this into a hang out room versus another bedroom(sorry teenage Lucy) it would be the end all at the Milkbarn.  In the 70's, when I grew up, this type of room was called a den. Rightly so. They were usually planked with wood siding and padded with two toned shag carpet. Nowadays I hear the word lounge to describe this space which only conjures up images of 20 somethings in the 90's  (ahem, that was me)   congregating at hip places with lots of sectional seating and guys thinking cigars were cool while I thought it seemed all so ridiculous.  So our children, upon carpet installation, commandeered the room for fighting and wrestling and so forth.  They named it The Ninja Room . No den, no lounge...just the ninja room. We love that they named it. We wanted to put up all of our family photographs  in a more personal space. ...

The Milkbarn Path

Before fall came, Clay was determined to design and construct a walkway to the Milkbarn. Yay!!! Because we had a very narrow, shoddy (what? shoddy at the milbarn? *gasp*) ,  unevenly paved sidewalk to the front door which we knew needed a serious redo.  We bought the pavers from Lowes awhile ago and had them piled up in front of the house for months.  FYI, voles make homes under pavers.   Doesn't it look awesome ? Nice, wide, perfect curve and now easy to shovel when the snow comes. The curve looks just right against the angles of the house. I planted some tulips under the trees and near the front door.  I'm not holding my breath that anything will come up given my gardening expertise.  But again, I do believe in miracles. :) Truth! ! 1600 Sq. ft and going strong...and now with a pathway! I was trying to think of all the photos that have a pathway or walkway in them.  Here we are at the Fort Colli...