Skip to main content

The Milkbarn will be famous

Well, I am not sure the Milkbarn will actually be famous.

I just thought that sounded good for a first entry.
 I don't know how to blog or write with finesse(did I spell that right?) or entertain through the written word but here I go chronicling our adventures and perhaps misadventures of remodeling a neglected home tucked against the rocky mountains. I figured 2014 would be that of a newborn year. I would be sleep deprived, wondering if I actually did know what I was doing and maybe secretly ask myself, why did I do this? It is hard to say no to my husband for one:) He needed a project and I guess I am a romantic and a dreamer and wanted to make that happen for him. I felt like this house was that tiny Charlie Brown Christmas tree.
I didn't want to be the Lucy and yell at Charlie Brown for bringing in something he thought needed him. 
The Milkbarn needed to be taken care of and brought back to life. And I needed to feel happy too....so I signed some documents sitting on the beach last summer with my phone in hand while Clay was back in Colorado. We ended up selling a perfectly normal, all-american, suburban home for a little cabin in the woods that needed help.

But maybe we are the ones who needed the help.

We have been here for 3 1/2 months now. 
This is our family. 
We dragged our couch out to the backyard for our first family photo at the Milkbarn.
So, here is our story...building our lives one day at a time :)

Comments

  1. Love your writing, awesome picture, wow!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can I be your first official blog stalker?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cami, I would be honored to have you stalk me. Do you think my next entry should just be about the amount of appliances from the 70's in my front yard?

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Post #40 The Ninja Room

The room my family has been waiting for.  Seriously!  I knew when we decided to turn this into a hang out room versus another bedroom(sorry teenage Lucy) it would be the end all at the Milkbarn.  In the 70's, when I grew up, this type of room was called a den. Rightly so. They were usually planked with wood siding and padded with two toned shag carpet. Nowadays I hear the word lounge to describe this space which only conjures up images of 20 somethings in the 90's  (ahem, that was me)   congregating at hip places with lots of sectional seating and guys thinking cigars were cool while I thought it seemed all so ridiculous.  So our children, upon carpet installation, commandeered the room for fighting and wrestling and so forth.  They named it The Ninja Room . No den, no lounge...just the ninja room. We love that they named it. We wanted to put up all of our family photographs  in a more personal space. ...

The Lofty Summer Project

Summer Milkbarn projects! We had so many plans and then like anything,  summer came and kind of went (well, unless you count the 25 days left of actual summer).  We accomplished 2 things.  Here is the the boys room remodel.  We haven't completed the built in book shelves but this is a pretty amazing re-do since it was a pretty nasty room to start with. Before photos   (after I delightfully cleaned, donated and organized the boys belongings! well, not all of them) Right below this crack through their ceiling slept Henry  in the top bunk. If I was him, I would've imagined monsters or something trying to break in from another dimension... oh wait, that is Stranger Things on Netflix ( okay, so that was my 3rd summer project)  old paint swatches from 2 1/2 years ago lightening speed around here! Ripped up the carpet and remains of a rainbow loom rip rainbow looms After the carpet and linoleum un...

The Milkbarn Path

Before fall came, Clay was determined to design and construct a walkway to the Milkbarn. Yay!!! Because we had a very narrow, shoddy (what? shoddy at the milbarn? *gasp*) ,  unevenly paved sidewalk to the front door which we knew needed a serious redo.  We bought the pavers from Lowes awhile ago and had them piled up in front of the house for months.  FYI, voles make homes under pavers.   Doesn't it look awesome ? Nice, wide, perfect curve and now easy to shovel when the snow comes. The curve looks just right against the angles of the house. I planted some tulips under the trees and near the front door.  I'm not holding my breath that anything will come up given my gardening expertise.  But again, I do believe in miracles. :) Truth! ! 1600 Sq. ft and going strong...and now with a pathway! I was trying to think of all the photos that have a pathway or walkway in them.  Here we are at the Fort Colli...